December 8, 2010
Entebbe Backpackers, Entebbe
So here I am, typing on my laptop at Entebbe Backpackers, having just been dropped off by Ben, the Shanti Uganda driver. My trip has now come full circle. It was 74 days ago, on a Saturday morning, that I was picked up by Ben from Entebbe Backpackers, after having spent my first night in Uganda.
My flight departs very late tonight, tomorrow morning in fact, at 1:45 am. I will spend the afternoon here in Entebbe, resting and preparing for my journey home. On the drive to Entebbe this morning Ben asked me: “What have you learned here in Africa, in Uganda?” What a good question Ben! It was a difficult one to begin to answer, as I have learned so much here, but much of what I learned is difficult to articulate. To begin with, I learned more about birth, about labour. During my time here in Uganda I attended 7 births in total at the Kasana Health Centre, and each one was a big learning experience. But there is so much more that I have gotten from my experience here – subtle lessons, and things I may not fully make sense of until I have been back in Canada for some time.
It’s a bittersweet goodbye, my departure from Uganda. Returning to Kasana from my weeks of travels, I really felt like I was going back home. The volunteer house, my old bed, Kristen and Jaime, visiting the Shanti site one last time – it all felt so comfortable and familiar. I had grown to feel great affection for all of it. And to feel that affection returned by the people I worked with there – I really had the feeling that I accomplished much of what I could have hoped to do in my time with Shanti. I feel so fortunate that I’ll be able to continue working with Shanti Uganda when I am back in Vancouver, to continue to be a part of this good work.
The other side of this is that I am really, truly ready to go back to Canada. Back in the early summer, when I was booking my flight and deciding how long I would be staying in Uganda, I was choosing my dates somewhat arbitrarily. But I think I have chosen well in my length of stay. I’m feeling eager to get back to family, friends, familiar food, winter, skiing, Christmas, work – all of it. I still have quite the journey ahead of me before I arrive in Vancouver, but I’ll be back before I know it!
No comments:
Post a Comment