Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Teaching


October 27, 2010

One cool thing about volunteering here is that I’m being put in the position of pushing myself to do new things. Of course, doing new things is generally what happens when one goes travelling, especially if that travelling is in Africa! But, still, before I left I had all kinds of ideas in my head of what I would be doing here. And I am doing some of those things, but I’m doing so much else! Like teaching. Which I don’t generally consider to be part of my skill set. But a big part of the experience of being here is sharing knowledge with one another. The Shanti staff teach me Luganda and about Ugandan culture; I’m learning more about midwifery and birthing babies. In return I lead yoga classes, give massages, teach massage techniques for labour and share my doula insights.

All this ‘teaching’ and workshop stuff was making me pretty nervous at first, but I’m starting to get more used to it now. My Ugandan English is getting better too, so now people can sort of understand what I’m saying! I went to Kasana hospital yesterday afternoon to do a workshop with the midwives there. It was a great success. There are so many times when I’m grateful to be a massage therapist, and this was one of those times. Nothing breaks down barriers like showing a bunch of women acupressure points and how to do hand massages. We were all laughing and having fun, and next time I go to work at the hospital I’ll feel much more comfortable because I know the staff a bit better now. Also, they have a much better idea of the role of a doula, and so can make the best use of my skills. They are pretty understaffed there, so the more help the better.

I’m hanging out in Luwero today on my day off. Most of my days off have involved a good bit of travelling, so it’s nice to have a break and just hang out, spend some time on the computer, read my book and go for a walk. My next days off I’ll be going on a safari! I’m excited about seeing the giraffes.

No comments:

Post a Comment